Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Bikini

After my sister-in-law’s baby shower last Sunday, my girls and I sat around with my mom and her sisters to visit for a bit. It’s been awhile since all the sisters were together and even longer since I was there with them. It was fun.

My mom’s oldest sister, Auntie D, mentioned that Alyssa needed a bikini for this summer.

Ahem.

No.

Not to get all prudish on you but she’s eleven. She’s going to get a new swimsuit but it will be more along the lines of a tankini than a bikini.

Yes, I’m that mom. I do not believe an eleven-year-old needs to wear a revealing swimsuit just because she’d look good in it. Look good to whom? Who are we trying to impress by dressing our little girls (in my world, eleven is still little, even when eleven stands five feel three and three quarter inches tall) in tiny bikinis?

Anyway, my aunt thought I was funny for being so prudish. She told me she was just trying to get a reaction out of me.

She tried to tell me that I’d worn bikinis at eleven. I didn’t. I was much too body-conscious to go out in public clad in something like a bikini. Alyssa isn’t body conscious but she is aware of how Tom and I feel about wearing clothes that are too revealing. We’ve had this conversation and she understands how we feel and why. She also agrees (good thing because she wouldn’t win this battle.)

And in case anyone is wondering, Olivia won’t be wearing a bikini either. And that girl, unlike her sister, WANTS to wear a bikini, because it will help her get a better tan. Sigh. I know, right?

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I agree completely!!