Friday, April 11, 2014

Neat Trick

Alyssa, my mom and I went to see the movie “Noah” last week, starring Russell Crowe.

I liked it. I probably won’t actually buy the DVD but I enjoyed watching it in the theater.

But what I remember most from the movie wasn’t so much how it deviated from the biblical story of Noah and his amazing Arc or even the awesomely scary and yet weirdly helpful giant angels encased in rock. We went into the movie knowing that they'd taken dramatic license for entertainment value.

So, no, while those things made for a decent movie experience what I remember most was the neat trick that Noah’s grandfather, played by the amazing Anthony Hopkins, did during one scene.

If you haven’t seen the movie and want to and hate to be spoiled, see you next post. If you don’t mind being even a little spoiled, well carry on.

The neat trick wasn’t when he healed Emma Watts’ character and made her able to have children. Though I saw that coming from the moment they found her as a child.

No, that wasn’t even the coolest trick in the movie.

The coolest trick was when Noah and his son went to see Noah’s grandfather in a cave. The grandfather gave Noah some tea then turned to Noah’s son, put his finger on his fore head between his eyes and said, “Rest.”

The child fell immediately asleep.

Now that, my friends, is an awesome trick. That is a trick that God should have given every single parent ever in the history of time, amen.

I promise I would use this power wisely. I wouldn’t make my children sleep at random times of the day. Just at bedtime. Well, and if/when they wake up in the night. But that’s it. Promise.

No comments: