Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Squeezing the Last Bit of Fun Out of Summer

I’m taking the next two days off work and trying to salvage what is left of summer. It’s been a quick one. It’s also been on the cool side this summer so we haven’t made many trips to the pool or lake.

Sure, we did our big Cedar Point trip and that was great fun, but it was all of three days. The rest of the summer was zoomed by without much fanfare.

Here we are, exactly two weeks away from the first day of school. This weekend the girls and I will be purchasing school supplies. Next weekend, we’ll head to the mall to look for school clothes and shoes. Yikes. And let me say now how hard it is to find shoes for Olivia’s little Rapunzel feet. They’re long and narrow and she’s very, very picky. If a shoe doesn’t go on right the first time, she absolutely refuses to let me try the same pair on her again. She will insist, “They’re annoying. They bother my toes. They’re too tight.”

So yes, I’m so looking forward to that adventure.

But that’s another week away. This week, we’re going to go to the zoo and maybe the pool if it’s warm enough on Friday.

And the bonus part? Tom is going with us! I know, right? Wonders never cease.

I asked him off-handedly a few days ago, “Are you going to the zoo with us?”

And I almost fainted when he said, “Yeah, I probably will.”

He never wants to do things like this. I’m so thrilled to have him along but I honestly expected his answer to my question to be, “No, I have too much to do around here.”

I would have been fine with that, since, you know, I was expecting it. But for him to want to go? Yay!

Though I did pave the way a little by telling him, “I already promised Lyssie that she can ride the horses at least twice.” Because I know Tom and I know he’d probably try to limit her to riding once and for Alyssa, who loves horses more than, well, almost anything, once would not be enough.

So yes, we’re having a little family zoo trip tomorrow. It ought to be great fun. And very tiring, but yes, great fun too.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I hope you have lots of fun at the zoo! You need to come down and see our orangutans.

And why are her feet "Rapunzel" feet? Am I missing some princess lore?

Tiffany said...

We are squeezing in as much as possible too!!