Monday, December 1, 2014

There Is No I in Team (But There is One in Whine)

I’ve said before that my husband and I will never go on the Amazing Race because, well, with our temperaments, we’d either end up divorced or one of us would end up dead and the other in jail. And, worst of all, America would hate us. Nobody wants that.

See, we’re pretty good as a team as long as we’re not actually working on anything together.

This past weekend we painted the ceilings in our house. Yeah. It went as well as one might think.

I started in the living room above where the tree would go because the girls really wanted us to get the tree up and decorated. Tom ‘supervised.’

He kept saying things about starting at a specific place and going in the same direction the entire time. I finally asked him if he wanted to demonstrate.

He didn’t.

I asked him what I was doing wrong. He got annoyed and said he just needed to leave.

I might have cried a little because I have sensitive feelings and they were a little hurt. Yeah, that’s just an awesome trait, isn’t it? I confess that I even annoy myself in moments like that, I can’t even imagine what it’s like to be Tom.

Let me put it this way. I don’t take criticism well and Tom doesn’t tend to give constructive criticism, even though he thinks it’s constructive, it just sounds critical to me.

In the end, we got it all done and no one was killed or even injured. Feelings might have been bruised when I dared to paint where there was no tarp but even the carpet survived that near-catastrophe.

Note to self, wait until he’s gone to attempt any more home improvement projects.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I do my home improvement project when Rick is gone. That includes decorating for Christmas.