Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Daylight Savings Time is Bullshit

Yes, I said it. And I mean it. I hate daylight savings time. I grew up in Indiana during the time that Indiana didn’t observe daylight savings time. It was glorious. Sure, half the year our neighbors all of five miles away were an hour ahead of us but big deal, we just figured it into our plans.

But now? I live in flipping Ohio, a state that has always observed the dreaded DST and work in Indiana, a newly added DST observer.

And it sucks so many donkey balls. It just does.

I know. I KNOW there are people out there who love the added hour of daylight at the end of the day. Those people are probably the ones on the far eastern side of their time zone.

Some of us here on the far west of the time zone feel differently. Having it be light out at almost 8pm in flipping MARCH is horrible.

All this week it’s been a nightmare to get my girls out of bed each morning. And my kids are morning people. They love the mornings. They’re insane, I admit, but they do so love their mornings. And yet the last three days have seen me actually starting to dress Olivia as she lay snoozing in her bed, oblivious to the deranged woman taking her pajamas off and putting her clothes on.

Alyssa just slumps around her bedroom like a zombie, trying to prop her eyes open long enough to find a belt for her jeans and a shirt that isn’t from the pile of dirty clothes on the floor of her closet.

It’s awful.

Last night at 7:30, we were settling in to read and Olivia asked why we were reading when it was still day time. I explained that even though it was still light out, it was actually almost bedtime and she gave me such a look of disbelief I’d have laughed if I hadn’t known I’d still be trying to get her to settle down and go to sleep at 8:30, which meant we’d have another tough morning this morning since she can’t seem to fall asleep when the light is filtering in through the closed curtains.

When Tom told the girls to put their coats on so they could go wait for the bus this morning, Olivia once again pointed out the midnight dark sky and asked why they were going outside to wait for the bus in the middle of the night.

It’s so confusing!! If we must do this DST thing, why can’t we wait until mid-April, when the sun is actually rising at a decent time?

Or hey, how about we just decide to make DST our year-round time and no have to deal with these horrible adjustments twice a freaking year?

Now there’s an idea that I bet every single parent in the world who has had to deal with these issues has wondered since the beginning of DST.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I agree, it's horrible. Although, I really love it in the fall.

Kate J said...

It takes me until fall to adjust, but then I still love it when we "fall back".