Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Innate Laziness

I have a list of things I’d like to do around the house. So many things populate that list.

• Hang shelves in the living room on which to place family photos.
• Clean, organize and paint the master closet
• Clean and organize the toy room
• Clean and organize the guest room
• Vacuum (I know…)
• Paint Alyssa’s dresser similar to Olivia’s, only blue instead of red.
• Figure out how to make the end of the counter stop being a catchall for every single piece of paper that comes in our door. Ugh!

So much to do and yet when the girls are settled at night, I just want to sit around and watch mindless tv like, oh, Dancing with the Stars or iZombie.

Even on the weekends, time is swallowed by things like grocery shopping and endless loads of laundry. Of course there is always dinner to fix and lunches to pack. (Well, only one for me to pack, Alyssa has the grueling chore of packing her own lunch. You’d think we were making her pack everyone’s lunch with all the groaning that goes on when we remind her NIGHTLY to pack her lunch.)

But yeah, my innate laziness, my desire to sit down and peruse Facebook (oh my goodness, the drama that unfolded last weekend on one of the groups to which I belong on Facebook provided many minutes of amusement and amazement.

Most of the time, I think about all that I would like to eventually get done and then Alyssa will ask, “Can you sit with me?”

She’s twelve, how much longer is she going to want to sit with me and watch tv? Or heck, even be in the same room, house, state with me? I tell myself I need to cherish these moments even though really, I was looking for a reason to put off the work anyway.

Sigh. That closet is never going to be clean and organized. I think I might be okay with that.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I don't think that's laziness, I think it's prioritizing. :)