Monday, June 22, 2015

Inside Out Tore Me Up

It was a very movie weekend. The girls and I went to see Pixar’s Inside Out on Saturday and then my mom, Alyssa and I went to see Jurassic World on Sunday. Yes, we left Olivia with Tom on Father’s day. He didn’t want to see the movie (he’ll see it when I buy the dvd) and Olivia would have been overwhelmed by the volume and some of the scariness.

Olivia only had to pee twice during Inside Out, which is a good sign that she actually enjoyed the movie.

It was a clever movie with lots of funny parts.

There was one point, though, that had me fighting sobs. I am one to well up with tears and maybe have one escape to trickle down my cheek but this movie had the tears flowing and me laughing in an attempt to disguise the sobs.

If you don’t want to be spoiled, read no further. Seriously. Stop now if you want to watch this movie and not know what’s coming…



-



-



-



-



-



It has been documented here that Olivia has several imaginary friends, so it probably comes as no surprise that I was happy to see the main character’s imaginary friend make an appearance in this movie. He was adorable and very obviously loves this girl very much. At eleven, she hadn’t thought of him much in the years since she was two or three but the scenes of her playing with him were adorable.

In an effort to get Joy back to Riley’s control center, the imaginary friend sacrifices himself to pits where old memories go to die. It was one of the saddest moments I’ve seen in a movie in a long time. His last words were, “Take her to the moon for me.”

I loved the idea of her imaginary friend not actually being imaginary, at least not to her inside her own head. Olivia still talks about her imaginary friends. They’re inside her head, living out lives and stories that she writes for them.

The idea that one would be willing to become dust in order for her to continue to feel joy is beautiful. Her imaginary friends love her, they exist because of her and they’d do anything for her.

Alyssa found my tears amusing and sweetly comforted me as I fought the sobs and Olivia was, well, she was Olivia, sitting next to me eating her Reece’s Pieces and probably wondering why Mom was sniffling like crazy next to her.

Yes, we’ll be buying the DVD version of this movie too. There are times when I need a good cry.

No comments: